Friday, August 13, 2010

Update and Bean & Veggie Soup recipe

Jesse is enjoying his job so far. He thinks he's going to really like it...especially once he really gets into his projects (there's been lots of "first week set-up" things so far!)

We came out here with just one car (our lovely diesel Jetta...she's great!) in order to simplify, so I've been dropping him off and picking him up from work--I feel like I'm taking him to school! :) Bike commuting, walking, and the bus system are so normal and convenient here, it's great!
We can run up to the Louisville Rec Center in about 6 minutes (we did yesterday...), walk to Starbucks (necessity :)), the nice salon I visited on Wednesday, various restaurants, etc. It's an easy bike ride to Whole Foods Market, Sports Authority, Target, and any other major chain business that is just about 1-2 miles away. We love the active community!


I (Bri) am still looking for a physical therapy job out here. It's a GREAT place to be a PT since the community is so active and athletic and there are LOTS of clinics here! The issue I'm running into is that a) there is a very low turnover (people come to Boulder area to work/live...then don't leave!) and b)it's very competitive (many employers have asked for 5+ years experience). I just printed out a bunch of resumes/cover letters and I'm going to just go introduce myself and offer a resume to several (4 or so...) clinics in the area that I think look interesting. The worst that could happen is they say "no"...right?? :)


I wanted to share my bean and veggie soup recipe with you all. I shared it with our friends Kristyn and Cort and they loved it! I made it last night...so here it goes:


Organic Bean and Veggie Soup Recipe

*I use all organic materials...of course, you could choose not to.*

2, 20 oz cans of diced tomatoes

1, 20 oz can of black beans

1, 16 oz can of kidney beans (I switch up the bean variety...try whatever looks good!)

3/4 a bag of frozen corn

5-6 large carrots peeled and chopped

1 medium onion diced

1/2-3/4 a bunch of kale (or collard greens)

4 cups of water (use more or less depending on the consistency you are wanting)

salt and pepper or everyday seasoning of your choice to taste

Pour all ingredients into a pot. Set at a medium-hot heat, in order to bring to a slight boil. Keep at a medium heat for about 1 hour in order to cook the kale and carrots. Then, simmer on low until ready to eat.

Try serving it over quinoa or with cheese on top.

Get creative and add whatever veggies you want! (I've done asparagus, green beans, potatoes...)
This is like a once-a-week meal for us. It makes GREAT leftovers for lunches...and we also freeze it for a quick meal in the future.

Hope you like this simple, nutrient-filled meal!


...Off to find a job! :)

1 comment:

  1. Look at you little house wife :)

    I'll have to try that out...once I get veggies from the farmer's market tomorrow!

    Have I mentioned I'm SO excited to visit?!

    ReplyDelete