Thursday, August 5, 2010

Steelhead Ironman 70.3

I was writing this post and ALMOST finished when it was time for the computer to be packed and put in the moving truck in St. Louis. Here it is...race report from Steelhead 2 weeks ago!

We drove up to Benton Harbor/St. Joseph area in Michigan on Thursday. It was a lovely little downtown area that was easy to relax in. We unpacked, took a quick, easy ride around town, then got ready for dinner.

Friday we woke up and got a good little swim in. Jesse quickly taught me how to "dolphin dive" to enter the swim and gave me a few last tips on my swim stroke. The lake was so clear that most of the time you could see the sandy floor. It was a great swim. I finally felt confident about Saturday's race. We got a late breakfast at a cute little cafe, bummed around town, I took a nap, and lots of stretching that day! We went to dinner at the Port House Restaurant, where half of the restaurant was filled with triathletes.

Saturday morning came quick, but for once I wasn't lying in bed (in the dark) and trying to talk myself out of doing the race...which is usually what my mind does race morning. Instead, I was ready to go. I was excited. We got ready and grabbed our gear...out the door, just to find that it was raining--at some points it would classify as pouring/storming.

Swim. To start off, we had to walk down the sandy beach about 1 mile to get to the swim start. This was almost harder than the swim :) The lake was lovely. I felt good on the swim. No panicking. Just kept reminding myself "glide smoothly". I noticed the very base of my hair was starting to get caught on the velcro of my wetsuit and was pulling more and more as I turned my head to breathe. It got worse throughout the swim that during the last 500 meters or so, I could only turn to breathe on the right. (After my post-race shower, I went to comb my hair and found I had formed a lovely birds nest there...lovely! Lindsey untangled it though!) I had felt so good in the lake that when I got out and saw my time, I was disappointed that I was SO SLOW! Oh well...it was a good, under control swim. And I wasn't the last one out. :)

1.2 miles. Done.

T1. The run through the sand and slightly uphill was a little tough after the swim, but at that point, I was just very happy to be out of the water and on to the bike. (see above photo)

Bike. Overall, it was nice. My age group (25-29) was the last women's wave to start, so I had all these fast guys passing me on the bike (the ones that hadn't already passed me on the swim :)). On the other hand, I did end up passing a good number of women, so that was encouraging. I kept my heart rate in control and would say that overall, it was fairly hilly, but a good course. My rear was so ready to be off the saddle that the last 6 miles were seriously brutal...they seemed soo long! I finished the bike a little faster than I had expected, so that was nice.

Another 56 miles. Total of 57.2 miles...done.

Run. First few miles were kinda fun...it's just so comforting to be on the last leg of the race. I walked the aid stations to be sure I was getting enough water/nutrition in...at mile 4, though I kept walking a bit after the station due to a side stitch. Amanda, my new friend from Philadelphia came running up behind me and said "Come on, Brianna, you can do it!" (Our names were on our race number bibs). I started running with her and ran the next few miles with her--so nice to just chat with someone and take your mind off the pain. :) Then Jesse caught up with me (he started the swim about an hour after me) and we got to run much of the remaining half marathon together (normally I couldn't keep up with him, but he's been injured and was having to do a slow jog). That was a lot of fun to run with him! I was smiling a lot...a few spectators commented on two things when I ran past: a) the "bling" on my visor...love it. and b) that I was smiling...I was trying to trick my brain at that point. Also, my number one goal of the day (even over finishing!) was to have fun! ...and that I did!

Another 13.1 miles. Total of 70.3 miles...done and DONE! I was so excited to be done!

So glad we get to do this together...Happy 1st Anniversary, babe! :)

Almost immediately I was starting to think of what race I'll do next. It's addicting. Usually I have wanted to do a longer distance, but now I just want to become better. I started running March 2005 with my dear friend, Jessy Beard--I did my first 5K in April of 05...just started triathalons this year.

I want to become stronger. Be a healthier and better athlete. So next I'm going to start pilates and maybe run another marathon this fall/winter?

A few 70.3 races next year.

I think I'll do a full Ironman the following year....who knows! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment