Friday, July 16, 2010

The Big Shark Newtown Triathlon

At first I was delaying this post on purpose. Right after the race on Sunday I was feeling bummed about my race...I had this feeling of defeat after I finished.

Summary of my race: I pannicked within like 100 m of the swim. Honestly, it was like an out-of-body experience. I don't know why I pannicked. I guess because there were people all around me and I just could not get my stroke pattern down. Finally, I got it together (although, I really wanted to tell the lifeguard to pull me out...I reeally wanted to bail!) and I finished the swim. What a relief!!

The bike was fine. I pushed it pretty hard from the beginning. I passed some of the girls in my age group, so that was hopeful. It was a bit windy on the way back, so that slowed me down a bit, but I kept like a 17-18 mph average.

My legs then were pretty fried. I wouldn't say that my legs blew up, but at this point my heart rate had not been in the 150s at all...I had just stopped looking at my heart rate and tried to just go as hard as I could :)

It took about a mile to get my legs underneath me and get a good breathing and step rhythm going. Ended up running 9:30 miles...not the fastest, but heck--it'd be a long morning! :)

Looking back, it was a good experience. Sunday night I finally realized that it was fun and it's okay to not be fast. Not to mention, we still had long workouts the week and even the day before the race--I was not fresh for that race.

Steelhead. I'm gonna finish it. It's an endurance challenge.

Going to swim in the lake this weekend.
I can do this.

It will be hard. It will be fun.

1 comment: