Sunday, October 16, 2011

Back to the blog world. Pumpkin-blueberry corn muffins.

I don't think anyone was following me on tumblr, besides my sweet, faithful sister...but I'm making the switch back to this blogspot, instead of (simplylivingwell.tumblr.com) blogging on tumblr. I thought it'd be easier, but I don't like the set up. I'll try to keep up the blog...

Much has happened since a year ago when I was blogging...most notably, we went to Italy in September, love living in Colorado (lots of summer visitors out here ;)), and I've got a lot of recipes to share...;)

I think I'm finding an answer for the fatigue I've been experiencing...more on that in a later post.

For now, let me share with you one of my new recipes. I'm trying to replace Clif/Lara/"granola" bars with nutrient dense, low-sugar muffins...here's one of my favorites I've just about mastered--I may tweak it a bit next time...

Pumpkin-Blueberry Corn Muffins

Ingredients:
½ cup cooked, mashed fresh, or canned pumpkin
2 eggs
¼ cup plan nonfat yogurt
3 Tbsp of organic applesauce
⅓ cup canola oil (or butter)
1 ¼ cups of yellow corn flour
¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 Tbsp flaxseed (ground)*
1 Tbsp chia seed (ground)*
⅓ cup sucanat (sugar cane)
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Method:
Preheat oven to 400. Lightly oil/spray or use muffins tins (yield 12-15 muffins).
In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, yogurt, applesauce, and oil/butter.
In a separate bowl, combine corn flour, w/w flour, flaxseed*, chia seed*, sucanat/sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Add dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients, stirring just to combine. Gently stir in blueberries. Do not over-stir or beat.
Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tins and bake 20-25 minutes, until muffins are golden brown and the toothpick comes out clean ;)

(this photo shows some of my favorite things: sweet nieces Sophia and Olivia (miss them so!), lululemon (sticker on my nalgene), "Health Master" emulsifier, and these wonderful muffins!)

Note: the * stands for "optional". Chia and flaxseed are easily found at your health food store...are inexpensive...and pack in nutrients. You cannot taste it...but your insides love it!!

I must also just give a "Go, Cards!!"...listening to the game on the internet--it reminds me of growing up and listening to baseball on the radio at the house and while driving. Good times.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! Just checked out your posts on Tumblr too...look at you Miss Debbie Domestic! Those recipes look SO delish!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete