Monday, October 24, 2011

Adrenal fatigue...what is it?

Adrenal fatigue=term coined by Dr. James Wilson in 1988="a group of signs and symptoms that people experience as a result of suboptimal adrenal function".

Adrenals: endocrine glands that sit on top of the kidneys; they are each about 1/2" by 3" long in a triangular shape
*the outer layer is the cortex, that's where steroid hormones are produced (cortisol, aldosterone, and testosterone
*the inner layer is the medulla, that's where epinehprine and norepinephrine is produced (more commonly called adrenaline and noradrenaline)

How did I come to this self-diagnosis? I'm reading Dr. Wilson's book "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome" This is his list of signs & symptoms that your adrenals are fatigued:
1. You feel tired for no reason. (that's me)
2. You have trouble getting up in the morning, even when you go to bed at a reasonable hour. (definitely me0
3. You are feeling rundown and overwhelmed. (often)
4. You have difficulty bouncing back from stress or illness (hmmm...I've had ear pain for over 3 months...went to the doctor for the THIRD time for it today=ridiculous)
5. You crave salty and sweet snacks. (yeah...don't we all at some point ;))
6. You feel more awake, alert, and energetic after 6PM than you do all day. (actually, yeah, some days this is me; some days in the recent past I have gone to bed at 6:30 or so, so that's the opposite)

What am I doing to "treat" it?
a) Quit coffee. Coffee/caffeine is brutal to the adrenals.
b) Keep blood sugars level...so, eat good nutritious meals with nutritious snacks
c) I've broken down and I'm taking a few supplements...I dislike supplement companies, I'm so skeptical...but I'm taking a Vitamin C & Rhodiola
d) I'm adding back in ACV (see my post on apple cider vinegar)

**Get the book or check out Dr. Wilson's website: adrenalfatigue.org for more information.**

Cheers to good health!

No comments:

Post a Comment